Friday, April 16, 2010

Are fictional stories always fictional?

I really, really enjoy reading. One of my favorite authors is Jodi Picoult. I had multiple people tell me that I needed to read her new book "House Rules". I wasn't sure I was strong enough to read it knowing it was about a "child" with Autism that was accused of murder. Anyway, what got me to read it was Alex's first grade teacher (Simone's current teacher) calling me over spring break telling me how she sees her (now adult) son and Alex in the main character, Jacob. She said she couldn't put it down and wanted me to read it so we could talk about it. She dropped it off by the end of the week. I was finishing another book at the time and of course as soon as I started I it I loved it!

What I really like about Ms. Picoult's storytelling is that her research makes you feel that this could be a true story. Also, she seems to take on big, often controversial, issues. Lastly, she makes you see all sides of the issue. In this book she does the same. She has each chapter in a voice that is either the mother, the brother, the boy with autism, the detective, the attorney, etc. Anyway, I found that my words were being communicated in this book through the chapters where the mother was speaking. I could hear Simone's voice in the brother's voice and, if Alex could tell us more about how his world is, I am sure that his words would be similar to Jacob's.

So, in this book, Jacob has obsessions. Being Autistic this is no surprise. His obsession currently, with the help of a police scanner, is crime seen investigation. He watches a crime show religiously at 4:30 (Alex watches a kids' game show at 4:30). His therapist is found dead and from there the story goes. I can't give more information without giving it away but I, like my kids' teacher, didn't want to put it down.

I encourage everyone to read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment