Saturday, April 3, 2010

Major Milestones!

Well, Spring Break is almost over. My husband took the week off and the task to keep us, especially Alex, busy was at hand. After being home a lot for snow days while dad was out of the country, I just couldn't see us spending another week at home. We needed to keep busy. So, we decided to spend a few nights in Columbus at the Fort Rapids water park. It wasn't Florida but there was a lot of water.

The kids had a great time. Simone rode all of the big slides. I was amazed when I went on them that she actually did rides that were, to me, a little scary. Alex stuck with the smaller slides and the area where the bucket dumped on you. My parents had taken him to this water park a few years ago and they said he rode a big ride with my dad but I'm thinking he was scared and has bad memories from that...at least that could explain why he wouldn't go down those slides. I know that he would have loved it if he would have tried because he does big slides at our outdoor pool all the time. Oh well, we didn't push.

The big milestones for him over the Spring Break were trying new restaurants. First, before we left for the water park, we went to see Honk! the musical that my nieces were in. It was a long show but Alex, although antsy at times, watched the whole thing and laughed out lout many times. We then went to eat at Max and Erma's for grandma's birthday. This was the first time we ate out with family that wasn't Frisch's or McDonald's. He ordered for himself - "I want cheese pizza and water with no ice". He wouldn't try their freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, which surprised me, but we know not to push too much. We were just happy he sat there without complaining at a new restaurant especially after sitting so long at the musical.

Then, a few days later, it was on to the water park and 3 days away from home. We ate breakfast in the room both mornings. The first night was pizza from the hotel. The first lunch was McDonald's. Then we met up with my sister and tested him again. We ate at my husband and I's favorite restaurant, Bravo's. Alex had fun playing with the pizza dough and making an animal that they cooked in the fire pit. He ordered again "cheese pizza and water with no ice". However, when the pizza came, it had parmesan cheese sprinkled on it and he started to cry. I felt horrible. We couldn't ask them to make another pizza could we? The waitress was awesome. I explained our situation and she offered right away to have the chef make another one. My husband took Alex to watch the pizza being made and cooked in the oven. This was no kid-sized pizza mind you!! When he came back with his pizza, he proceeded to eat half the pizza - about 4 big pieces!!

Earlier that day, we did have some stress issues. We decided after lunch (before going to meet my sister) to test drive some cars because we were close to some big dealerships. I was driving us around with Alex in the 3rd row back seat and looked back to see he was crying. He was so worried about not continuing our "vacation". He kept saying "we are running out of time, we need to go back to vacation". He was also on edge about going to see my sister saying the same thing about time and vacation. I am amazed though that he could do so well with going to he new restaurant even though he was obviously on edge.

The last day after check out, Simone picked the restaurant where we would eat lunch before heading home. She decided we would eat at Applebees. This was big too because we hadn't tried eating there before and we had to pass his favorite - Frisch's - on the way to Applebees. Again, he ordered "cheese pizza and water with no ice" as well as a side of french fries. He ate and ate and ate. So, maybe we didn't change up what we ordered that much but the pizzas were each a little different (different crusts, etc) not to mention these were places we couldn't get him to go to before without a meltdown!

Since we have been home, there have been issues with repetitive behaviors and recently obsessing about when we are coloring eggs and if there are cracks in the eggs but he has come so far that I can't complain about that.

Tomorrow, Easter, will be another big test - big family gathering at my mother-in-law's with more than 50 people. These large family gatherings have always a challenge. Alex usually tells us when he is ready to go home. We have learned not to push it too long and just leave when we need to. I am hopeful he will eat something there and usually take some food with me that I know he will eat.

The holidays are always stressful especially when there is a big break from school involved. Overall I am happy about how well it has gone. I just hope I didn't jinx it!

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment