Thursday, May 21, 2009

TV Talk

I forgot to mention the first part of Mother's Day that had got me sad (maybe this was where it all started downhill). When we were at church and the kids were still in the service (they leave for classes after we sing), the Pastor asked if any of the kids wanted to say something about their mom. Alex is really into raising his hand to answer a question but doesn't often answer appropriately. So I am in the back of the church saying "please don't pick him", which makes me feel guilty in itself. Don't you know, she picks him. She tries to prompt him but he starts talking and it is a bunch of "TV talk". Somewhere in there was playing "kickball with my mom" but most of it was him talking the script of several Charlie Brown movies. Everyone in the service is smiling and kindof laughing at how cute he is. I was so sad inside. Then by the end of the service I was crying.

Cut to Tuesday of that week...he gets his prized "reading t-shirt" at school. He is excited beyond anything I have seen in a while. I had to force him to let me wash it and he waiting for it to be washed to put it in the dryer. I managed to pull him away from the house so we could go to the library while it dried but it nearly killed him. So we are at the library and I say "Alex, tell the librarian what you got at school today". He stands nice and straight (no fidgeting) and says "I went the the principal's office and got my reading t-shirt". It was amazing. Sometimes he is on and sometimes he isn't.

He has done very well with the track practices and even the big meet we went to this past weekend. However, at practice on Monday, one of our kids got a ribbon for winning a place in a field event. He was so upset that he didn't get a ribbon (why they don't have participation ribbons for all kids I don't know). So, he kept saying over and over that he wanted a ribbon on Wednesday. Well, we go to practice on Wednesday and of course knowing there wouldn't be a ribbon. He practices well but at the end has a meltdown over there not being a ribbon. On the way home he wanted me to stop at the "next exit" because there is a hospital and he could see the doctor because his heart was broken. Too cute! I have a feeling though that he won't forget about this ribbon and next week we'll have the same issue...I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment